Thursday, January 13, 2011

3 Piece Suits...nah 3 piece boots

As I mentioned yesterday...I be in need of some awesomeness for my feet!

I went around the Bay Area (CA) for the last few days checking out boots.  As I am sure all of you know, if you aren't by the snow, ski equipt is hard to come by.  I had some luck though speccing boots.

First boots I tried,  I started out checking out the regular boots with 4 buckles.  I tried on a few pairs of Salomon's, but they were too narrow and tight on the feet.  I have wider feet, Salomon is a weird fit, great boots, but you need to make sure the boot fits, because they all tend to fit a bit funky.

After trying on a bunch more standard boots, I wasn't liking the feel of any of them...my heel was coming up too much when i lifted my foot, and I didn't feet like my foot was locked in place.

I didn't really know what to do...so I jumped on my computer when I got home, and found 3 piece ski boots.  Here are some examples:

Dalbello Krypton Rampage:  

My personal favorite fit.  I wear size 29, these boots were actually comfortable.  Provide support everywhere I wanted...and left me some space everywhere I need space.  Simply great boots.  After 2 ACL repairs I want to make sure my heal is LOCKED down....and these boots did just that.

Nordica Ace of Spades:

Mentioned these the other day....felt a little too wide for me.  Great fit otherwise...just a little too wide causing my heel to move freely too much.  I like the TIGHT feeling ...so these boots could be for you if you want that extra movement...but your knees won't like it!!!

Nordica Double Six:


Tried these on last....was a little bias towards my opinion of the Double Six just because the Dalbello fit me so nicely.  These are in the same line as the Ace of Spades.  Great boots, still a little loose..but not like the 4 piece boots.  So give them a shot..

Be sure to check out some of the other brands that I haven't been able to run into ...like fulltilt- they are supposed to be legit.


They make all the boots in diff color variations so you can make sure they match the fit :-D

In getting boots!  Always make sure:

You have your foot measured...these aren't shoes...you don't need much room in them.

Make sure your heel isn't able to lift off the boot and that it feels locked in place....if not this is how ACL blow up!

Walk around and keep them on a bit...you wear skis for about 4-6 hours a day when you have them on....so make sure they feel good...don't want to waste money on something that sucks....

Get good heel protection....most boots come with this nowadays but just be sure to ask in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment